Contact Studio Cambridge
In order to provide you with the best service possible, Studio Cambridge needs to know a little about your specific situation. If you have questions, please first select a course from the list on the this page. You can always change course dates later.
6 SALISBURY VILLAS
Established in 1954, Studio Cambridge is the oldest language school in the city. Recognised by the British Council and a member of English UK, we are also an authorised centre for the CELTA course. We have had a CELTA teacher training programme for over 20 years and we currently offer intensive, 4-week CELTA courses in February and November each year.
The CELTA course is intensive, running from approximately 0915 to 1730 hours each day, Monday to Friday. The evenings and weekends will be spent on written assignments and on lesson planning.
There will be approximately 60 hours of input sessions focusing on language awareness, teaching skills, methodology, phonology and professional development. This will mirror the teaching techniques trainees will be expected to use themselves in Teaching Practice.
There will be 6 – 7 hours of observation of lessons given by experienced teachers. While you will be required to teach only at two levels, generally Pre-intermediate and Upper Intermediate, you will have the opportunity to observe a broader range of levels.
Assessment on the CELTA course is continuous and integrated. The assessed components of the course are the teaching practice and the assignments. Trainees are kept up to date with their development and you should be in no doubt as to how you are doing throughout the course. You will receive both written and spoken feedback on teaching practice and on assignments, as well as in tutorials.
The course is limited to twelve participants with two to three tutors who will share the input sessions and the supervision of teaching practice.
Personal support and encouragement
You will find your tutors approachable and supportive. They will be on hand for advice and encouragement.
Help with Employment
In the final week of the course, candidates have sessions on Cultural Awareness, Professional Development and on Teaching at Home and Abroad. In addition to a job board where recent posts are advertised, extensive advice is given as to where the newly qualified teachers can find job-related information. This includes publications, web sites, organisations etc.
Studio is proud of its CELTA graduates and has a long history of offering
many of them work, particularly in the busy summer period. This has been a most rewarding experience and to the mutual satisfaction of everyone concerned.
The centre can arrange accommodation in a residence or homestay accommodation.
There are three types of homestay accommodation:
Homestay Three Star: Regular family housing, offering good clean accommodation. Approximately 90% of our host families have a 3 star rating.
Homestay Four Star: Large, luxury bedroom, often with a double bed or television but without en-suite (shared bathroom with host family).
Homestay Five Star: Executive- standard, usually a large house and typically providing a bathroom for private use.
What can you expect from your Homestay accommodation?
• Single Rooms - For your privacy and comfort, we provide only single study bedrooms (although twin rooms are available if requested).
• Meals: Your hosts will provide you with breakfast and dinner each day from Monday to Friday and all meals at weekends. (Lunch is served from Monday to Friday in the Studio cafe, at a small additional cost).
• Laundry: Your hosts will change your bed linen and wash your clothes at least once per week.
• Other students in the Homestay - Often, there will be another Studio student staying with the same host as you.
• How we select our hosts - Studio hosts are selected because they are friendly people who provide a warm, welcoming environment where you will feel at home.
• Our Accommodation Office uses established criteria in selecting homestays. Each host is visited at least once a year when we gather, and then continuously up-date, the following information about each host:
• Personal details - names of all members of the family; their occupations and personal interests; the ages, school details and interests of the children, if any; if anyone in the house smokes and their attitude to smoking; if they have pets; whether they can cater for special diets, such as vegetarian, halal, or gluten-free; whether any other languages are spoken at home
• The Home - Location; distance from school; walking, cycling or bus routes to school; type of home (house, apartment); size and style; number of bedrooms; type of bedrooms and facilities; number of bathrooms; facilities (garden, TV etc)
Homestay Accommodation costs 2017
Homestay*** - £160 per week
Homestay**** - £200 per week
Homestay***** - £300 per week
Tripos Court is a modern residence located in a newly-developed area of Cambridge, opposite a large cinema and bowling complex with supermarkets, a music/theatre venue, banks and supermarkets. It is a 10 minute walk from our main school.
The residence has been recently refurbished to a very high standard and offers single en-suite bedrooms and shared kitchen/living areas.
There are on-site laundry facilities and bed linen is changed once per week. Students should bring their own towels.
This self-catering residence is only available to students aged 18+
Price : 210 GBP per week
Please note that there is a refundable security deposit of £100. This should be paid in cash on arrival to your warden and will be returned on the day of departure.
The full cost of the course is £1,450. This comprises:
Registration and assessment fee £150
Tuition fee £1,300
The fees must be paid as follows:
At the time of accepting the offer of a place on the course: Full amount or £150.00 registration and
No less than 4 weeks before the start of the course: Remaining fees, if any
Studio Cambridge reserves the right to cancel your enrolment if the balance of fees has not been received by the due date.
Cancellations and withdrawals:
After the payment of the Registration and assessment fee has been made, there are no refunds for the cancellation of the course, for a no-show, or for early withdrawal from the course.
Under very limited circumstances, such as serious illness, or bereavement in your family, Studio Cambridge will consider allowing you to withdraw and re-take the course at a later date. If this is allowed, the replacement course will be offered at no additional cost or at a reduced additional cost according to individual circumstances.